Friday, November 11, 2005

Ordination

Our church is planning on having an ordination in the spring. This fact has brought several questions to my mind. First, what do you think of the lot? Is this the correct way to chose pastors? Is this the best way? What would be wrong with someone saying I feel called to pastor. My second question is in regards to money. Would it be wrong to pay a pastor? Why do we expect our pastors to work a full time job and still find time to shepherd the flock? And my third and final question, this is similar to the first. Is it wrong to say the nomination needs to be unanimous before you will accept the responsibilty of pastoring? In other words, you would not go through the lot and would only accept the responsibility of pastor if you were unanimously chosen by the church body.

5 comments:

Momof3 said...

The church I used to be a member of--Ebenezer, in South Boston--is part of a conference that takes up a ministerial aid offering every month for their ministry.
These men also have full time jobs, as well.
Do y'all not have anything like that?
~Lez

Glen Zehr said...

Well, yes we do. I am not referring to an offering. Why not have a couple of them be on a salary? Our miniters aid offering can't do but so muvh when it is being split four ways.....

Glen Zehr said...

I like that idea. Using the extra book.....
I to think there should be a salary but I would say the idea has been squashed.....
thought not vehemently

Anonymous said...

A friend and I were discussing the 'lot' recently, and she brought to my attention that the only time this method was mentioned in the Bible was when a disciple was chosen to replace Judas Iscariot and that it was before the Holy Spirit had come upon the believers.
I think you're right in that too much 'sacredness' has placed on the lot. I like the idea of an extra 'book', but I wonder if the Church of God in Christ's (Holdeman Mennonites) policy of the whole church coming to a unanimous decision about who should be their next pastor and that that person feeling a call from God is not the most Biblical way? Just a thought..
-Beverly G
P.S. I've enjoyed reading your blog, Glen, since I discovered it a few weeks ago.

Glen Zehr said...

Thanks for the comment and I am glad you find it worth your time.