Saturday, November 26, 2005

Bulls and I

While I was growing up some wise man decided we should raise all our bull calves up to 1200-1500 Lbs. To understand this situation totally you may need to know a few facts. The farm I grew up on was set up as a partnership. The partnership included five men. So we had 120 cow herd supporting 5 families. Raising bulls till they were full grown was suppose to help the cash flow. Now one other bit of information that is needed concerns the weekend work schedule. As I got older I pushed to be used. I was feeding cows by the time I was 11-12 or younger I can't remember. I really was to young but I was able and because of my ability I pushed the guys to let me participate. I did not enjoy milking so I talked the men into letting me feed instead of milking on weekends. This story revolves around a Sunday morning incident when I had to feed the bulls. They were located in a pasture roughly 200 yards from the farm. Due to trees and an assortment of other opaque items you could not see the pasture from the farm. This spring morning I arrived at the gate opened it and drove through. After much agonizing of the mind I decided I should shut the gate because bulls running loose on Sunday morning would make some men rather unhappy. As I drove to the bunk I noticed there was roughly a foot of muck and mud causing the tractor to slide around the hillside. I was hoping the bulls would follow me and be so thankful for the feed could open the gate in peace. After running out the feed I drove back to the gate and was I was not pleased to notice about 30 bulls who were ungrateful for the feed and more interested in watching me open the gate. What to do? After thinking a little I decided the best option was to take another lap by the bunk and hope they would follow me down. A few of them followed me but the mud was deep the tractor slid around so much I could not get back to the gate before they realized I was only teasing them. They promptly gathered around the gate again to see what I would attempt next. The nasty beasts chuckled fiendishly as I sat on the tractor pondering my next move.......

No comments: