Sunday, November 27, 2005

Bulls and I Part II

Slowly I descended from my perch and began to flail my arms and holler. After watching my performance for several minutes Chief Bull seemed to take exception to my antics. He began throwing acres of mud high into the sky with his front feet. This tends to be a sign of anger and frustration and before I knew what had happened I was lying in the fetal position in the mud. How did I end up in the mud? Well, over the next several days I replayed this incident in my mind using slow motion. If my memory serves me correctly Chief Bull came charging in with head down and nostrils flared. The speed of a 1500 Lbs of beef is astonishing. I began to turn my body away from this crazed animal but I was not quick enough. I took a glancing blow to the left side of my upper back. His head was right in my arm pit and I proceeded to rap his hard head with all the energy and muscle I could muster. While I was busy annoying him with these ferocious raps to the noggin, I found my vocal cords and let loose a shrill and piercing NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!! He bounced my puny frame off of the rear tractor tire. While I was lying there in the mud I knew he was going to grind me into human beef patties. I was to scared to get up and walk so I crawled slowly around the back of the tractor, under the wagon tongue/hitch before jumping up and dashing to the fence. As I crawled over the fence and began to go for help I saw Daddy arrive. I went blubbering toward him sobbing out my story,I cannot remember if he saw any of this rodeo or not, he wandered around looking for a big stick. After finding a weapon he stood beside the gate waving his tree limb while I drove through the gate. Daddy shut the gate and we headed home. I remember wandering why they didn't attack Daddy but they did attack me. Strange, I think they knew I was scared and this made them nervous. Needless to say this was the last time I fed these massive creatures until they finished building a drive by feeding bunk.......

1 comment:

Zareba said...

Glen, your story of the bulls has me laughing still. I can relate to the picture you paint. Having grown up ten miles from civilization and moved to the big city in my teens, I went home for weekends quite often and took city friends with me to share an experience many of them had never had.

One weekend, a friend and I strolled across a neighbor's pasture to check out the little river that ran through it. There were 8 or 10 young steers in the pasture who were quite interested in the two legged visitors. One in particular took a liking to my friend and strolled over for a closer look.

All my friend could see was charging bull!!!! and he headed for the fence at a speed I have never seen a human achieve before. The fence was a typical farm fence with 2 rows of barbed wire strung at the top. After clearing the fence in one long arcing dive, he looked back from his spot in the middle of my mother's garden to see the steer peering quizzically at him still.

My friend has yet to live down his first farm experience.

Thanks for the chuckle and the trip down memory lane.

...Z