Monday, November 14, 2005

Hark

There is a hymn in the Church Hymnal titled Hark Ten Thousand Harps and Voices which I do not like. I think the music is trite but there is also another reason. Maybe you can explain the lyrics and I will change my mind. One of the verses states Jesus rules the world alone, Hallelujah etc. What does this mean? Jesus doesn't rule the world alone does he? If you have any theological insight on this song feel free to share. Presently, I cringe every time we sing this song.....

4 comments:

Glen Zehr said...

Maybe that is helpful....
However, the verse from John also indicates that the power is from above, meaning God, right? Seems to me it should be the two of them together..... not to mention the Holy Spirit......

Glen Zehr said...

By the way, the verse from Matthew suggests that the power was given to Him. That means it came from someone, which would be His heavenly Father/God......

Glen Zehr said...

Thanks for the help.....

Anonymous said...

Your question "Does Jesus rule the world alone" comes just following Sunday evening's rendition of "The Messiah" here in Lancaster, Pa.! And I am overwhelmed with joy for His victory which we can claim even now amids't confusion and wars! I say amen to milk man and shine's comments. J. H.