Friday, March 17, 2006

Will The Day Ever End?

I noticed a cow, Shaq, appeared to be in the process of droping a calf about lunch time. Due to the fact that no feet or other body parts had made their appearance I decided to have a feel inside. I found nothing..... Now I wait.
After milking this evening I had another feel. Everything is where it is suppose to be, however, the feet seem to be rather large. I will be going over in 30 min. or so to see if the calf has dropped. If not I may be in for quite a game of tug of war. I am only glad I will not be in the middle......


Here is a poll question for you.
How many of you purchase your milk and what are paying per gallon?

6 comments:

Rob said...

We purchase our milk from a small local Amish farm. The price is $1.75 per gallon. We get about 4 gallons per week.

Val said...

Obviously, not *nearly* enough for the wear-and-tear on the farmer. :o) But I thought it's been much higher lately per pound?? With corn prices down...that helps, right? Something positive to think about when you're fishing for hooves??? :-D
4 gal./week; $2.78/gal.; 2%; Wal-Mart

I think only a year ago I was paying under $2/gal. at Wal-Mart.

Anonymous said...

We use about 4-6 gallon a week and we pay 1.50 from a farmer(BIL) in PA.

Glen Zehr said...

Two bull calves, one last night and one this morning from different morthers. Also I learned this morning that the price we get paid will be dropping about two dollars a per hundred lbs in the next two months. This means the price will be running about 13$ instead of 15$. This also means the price per gallon will drop on my end. However, I doubt whether you will reap the benefits of this price drop....

Anonymous said...

In PUblix we pay $3.50, not everything is good at Publix! ha. COffee is though! If you like coffee. Joe is checking into organic milk...should double the price he gets for milk!! Good idea, check into it in VA!!

Momof3 said...

We buy one gallon of whole milk a week, and are privileged to have WIC pay for it right now. I did notice yesterday in Walmart that it had gone down from over $3/gallon to $2.74/gallon. We only use whole milk, since my hubby came from a farm with straight cow's milk. He isn't impressed with anything but Vitamin D/Whole milk.
How about everyone else? What do you use?
~Lez