Monday, March 27, 2006

DHIA

Tonight is our annual DHIA meeting. For those of you who are unaware of this organization let me fill you in. DHIA stands for Dairy Herd Improvement Association. (I think) An individual, Diane, comes once a month, if i'm lucky, and tests the cows. This consists of putting meters in the parlour that are attached to the milking system. As each cow is milked it measures the milk. These numbers are then pumped into Diane's lap top which calculates my milking times and spits out the bottom line numbers. For instance, if Jehu milks 50 lbs at one milking the computer will calculate the previous milking time and somehow come to the conclusion that Jehu milked 121lbs that day intead of 100lbs. Also they will give out awards to people who own cows that make lots and lots of milk. I do not expect to recieve any awards. Uncle Delvin usually gets them all:)
So tonight I go to the meeting, which is being held at Golden Corral in Lynchburg. This means free food. (goody) This meeting is being held in conjunction with Select Sire Power an AI company. They come around once every 6 weeks and try to sell me semen. (I DO NOT HAVE A HERD BULL) Anyway, there is a new fangled thing they are trying called sexed semen. This means they try to separate the males from the females. If they could get this perfected and all my heifers were carrying heifer calves.....
Why did I tell you that? They are having an individual, David Whitlock, expound on the subject tonight. Should be very interesting......
Gotta run, don't want miss any free food.......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wish I could go. The other day I actually saw a cow with an udder. Anyway enjoy it for me.

Lowell

Glen Zehr said...

Consider it enjoyed....
Good coffee to.
you need to email me.....