Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Ravaged

What is that annoying sound, I wondered, Oh man, time to get up already. I drug myself out of bed, dressed and stumbled for the door. After slipping on my boots I stepped out into the blackness of night. The first thing to penetrate my feeble brain was the insistent howling of dogs. I was instantly wide awake. Those dogs are after my calves. I began to run for the barn when I decide I better take the truck. I had no desire to be dog food. As I am pulling into the farm drive I see nasty, half grown, black dog heading for the back 40 at top speed. A split second later a white half grown cur came flying across the lane right in front of the truck. I jacked the steering wheel hard to the right and floored the truck chasing the dog across the lawn. I didn't want to alarm those who were sleeping in the house so I let the dog go and went back to check on the calf. At first glance I thought she was dead but after further inspection I noticed her ribs were moving. I could see a spot on the right hip were a chunk of flesh was missing. Her eyes were wide with fright as I knelt down beside her. My mind and heart were full of intense and, I think, righteous anger. I laid my hand on the calf's abdomen and she started bawling. I knew she was in incredible pain. She would not move a muscle. I decided to leave her till daylight so I could see what was actually going on. As soon as I was done milking I went and checked on her. The spot on her hip was much worse than I anticipated. I could see the ball socket were the hip bone attaches to the pin bone. She had multiple lacerations to the ribs and abdominal area. Her ears had been gnawed on and were bleeding. I knew there was nothing to do but end her misery. I headed for the neighbors to see if he would take care of the grisly task. She succumbed to her injuries before we got back with the gun. Those dogs will be looking at the small end of rifle next time we see them. They usually do not stop with one. Once they start they continue……

2 comments:

jump4joy said...

Oh no, that is TROUBLE!!! I hope you can get rid of them before they do it again. That is awful business. WHat a way to start the day.

Val said...

How awful...we have coyotes around here that think our cats are appetizers. Our dog fights with them at night, and we've seen them in broad daylight. I guess at least you know who the guilty party is, and can plan the next move.

What an awful way to go...I hope you end their marauding ways soon.