Saturday, November 11, 2006

Tragedy

Yesterday evening my wife was leaving for town. While she was leaving Blackie was traipsing along beside her. When Rachel turned at the end of the drive the van felt like it had gone over a rock. She then heard this yipping sound and Blackie was running for the farm house like he was shot out of a cannon. Naturally she assumed all would be well. I was unaware of these events when I backed my truck up to the farm house porch. I noticed the dog was lying beside the steps but was far to still. I nudged him with my foot and he took no notice. I was surprised and wondered what had happened. I called Rachel to break the news to her. She then told me what had happened. Sierra was somewhat distressed. This is the first death she has had to deal with and she shed a few tears on her mother's shoulder. While we were working in the house she would tell me she was "Thinking about Blackie". This morning she is singing away and said that she slept well last night. I am sure cupcake will be very happy to have such a thorn in the flesh removed from his life. Blackie found much joy in harrassing the cat. Sierra says she wants another dog but I think we shall wait and see...

No comments: