Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving

I must admit I spend most of my time wishing I had more instead of being greatful for what I have. For instance, this morning when I was getting in the cows I noticed a new calf in my prefresh lot. I go investigate the situation and discover three things. One of which was that this heifer decided to have her calf in the mud. (I would guess we had at least three more inches of rain yesterday.) The second thing I discovered was that the calf was a heifer which was going to cost me some time. We have instituted a heifer calf protocol. Which consists solely of feeding the calf freeze dried colostrum as soon as possible. We purchase this product from an AI company. This product has saved many heifer calves but it is time consuming and I hate it when I get started milking late. The third thing I noticed was that the mother was partially paralyzed. Her back legs were very floppy. She would try to get up but would just fall over. I moan silently. After milking and feeding calves I take the skidloader down and roll her into the bucket. I then carry her to sick pen. I gave her a shot for the pain but I must admit I am rather doubtful she will ever stand up again. So, I was tempted to feel sorry for myself. I would like nothing more than to not have to work today but that isn't an option. Not only do I have to work I have something that is out of my control happen that costs me lots of time and makes my job harder and more tedious. So, what do I have to be thankful for? Well, I milked 84 healthy cows this morning. I fed about 20 healthy calves. I then came home to a happy family. I have help this afternoon which will all0w me to come home early and have supper with the family. There are many things I am thankful for but I must mention my hired man. Sonny underwent hernia surgery on Nov. the 13th. This has made me more aware of how much I depend on him and his wisdom in helping me make decisions. God Bless us all as we remember to be thankful for the things that are most important in life.
This has gotten very long and I don't know if I have said much of anything...

No comments: