Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Discipline

Sometime ago I posted a few thoughts on spanking children or, if you prefer, disciplining your children in such away that causes them to have some physical pain. I realize this topic is one that people are scared of because we don't want to be charged with abuse.
Last week while listening to the radio, ESPN, I learned that Bobby Knight had slapped one of his players in the face or jaw hard enough to make him rub his jaw as if he was in some pain. What I find ironic is the fact that no one involved in this incident thought it was a problem. The player, his parents, the school president, or Mr. Knight. Some people seemed to think it was fine for him to discipline his player this way. Apparently Mr Knight was telling his player Look at me when I am talking to you!!!
My question is this: Why is it okay for Bobby Knight to pop a player in the jaw? Yet some parents have gotten into trouble for spanking their children. In the past Bobby Knight has used some very bazarre methods of discipline. Appearing to wip a player with a horsehide wip as well as swinging a metal chair. Here is another interesting thought. If Bobby Knight wasn't winning at Texas Tech would this have been more of a problem? I think so. If they would be losing lots of Basketball games I guarentee Coach Knight would have been suspended or fired. Our society is in the process of becoming very twisted. I wonder why Social Services didn't step in when they discovered Coach Knight had once again struck a player?

2 comments:

Glen Zehr said...

Never heard of it.... I might, you never know...

Anonymous said...

using a rawhide whip?

It has been said that no one will arrest you if you give less than 5 whacks to a child. ????

We had a resident trooper in Mt. Airy that spanked his children. He also had triplet girls in his family and we were friends with them. Pretty interesting.