Monday, November 13, 2006

Time

Christ's Life is in us, and that makes it all possible, but we MUST CHOOSE IT. I must CHOOSE to put my book down, get up off the couch, and make cookies with my girls helping. I must choose to let the dishes wait a minute and go pretend to be a bear and chase my boys down the hall.

The funny thing is, it's so HARD to choose to get down there with them, but when I'm with them, cracking up so hard I'm belly-laughing, and looking into their eyes and down into their hearts, and just enjoying them, I am so greatful I got off the stinkin' couch! No matter how relaxing that book was to me, it can't beat being WITH them. The book is nice to my flesh, but being (really BEing) with my children brings Peace and Rest to my heart.

But it doesn't start out like that. At first, it's you making the choice via sheer will-power to do what you know you OUGHT to do. God is responsible for changing your heart, but YOU are responsible for changing your actions.

This is not original with me. My wife found it on the internet. I must admit this is what I struggle with. I don't seem to have energy to BE with my children. I try to tell myself that when my children are 14 I want to have a relationship with them. But I forget so easy. It is much easier to say no... I am tired and don't have the energy to play hide and seek. But when I do it I have fun and they have fun. Isn't that what family is all about? Learning to have fun together?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Family time is the most important for your young'ens. Let the cows bawl, but play with the kiddo's!! YOu are a good day....keep it up!!