Monday, April 03, 2006

Tim Rumsey

I know some of you, you may be few, but some of you none the less are interested in the recital we attended yesterday. As you know VOP has asked Mr. Rumsey to arrange several songs for us to use on our last two albums. We asked him to do one arrangement for our Reunion album also. Because we have recorded/sung his arrangements he asked us if we would be willing to sing a couple of them at a composition recital he was putting together. The recital began at 3:00 and lasted until 4:30 or so. The recital consisted solely of works he has written or arranged. They concert started with a couple pieces composed for the organ before moving to two chorale pieces. The chorale pieces were sung by the high school choir. The title of the first piece was Worthy Is The Lamb and the second was the Traveler's Prayer. The choir did a fantastic job and these pieces were not easy. This was followed by 12 short pianoe pieces. I love the pianoe so I enjoyed this as well. After intermission there were two instrumental pieces. The second of these used "Glass". The glass consisted of 20 or so glass goblets which were filled with water. The level of the water determined the pitch. There 5-6 people that played the glass along with a soundtrack and some other instruments. (I do not know what they were.) After this a handbell choir played Angels We Have Heard On High. If you have never seen a handbell choir play you should go hear one sometime. It is amazing.....
We were last on the program and sang two songs. Come Thou Fount Of Every Blessings, and Oh For A Thousand Tounges.
Tim Rumsey is a very talented man. He is only 28 years old and has written quite a bit of music. I recommend his two cd's to you. One is a band playing hymns. It is very nice. The other is a Christmas work called Emanuel. Just use the link on the side bar called Tim Rumsey for more information.

3 comments:

Glen Zehr said...

Well, Paul, I am the one that eill be putting the tour together. I have been rolling some ideas around in my head and with the current group. We have some ideas and we may swing through GA on the end of the tour. I have not really worked at putting it together yet so if this is an official invitation I will see how it works out.
I had no idea how old he was either. When I saw him I thought wow, he is young. Of course any one younger then me is young now.....

Sean Hsu said...

well......
glad to see people giving some positive feedback, even though it was ages ago (I count two years)

I was in that high school choir (called Shenandoans), and I could still remember rehearsing that song. (as you said, it was INDEED not easy)

Sean Hsu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.