Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Para Plow

I have been trying to Para plow this week. A Para plow is a plow that does not turn the soil over. It does not make a furrow. I am pulling my five bottom Para plow with 150 horse power four wheel drive White. It is aptly called a 4-150. Now, I was told that March of 2006 was the driest in 100 years. I don't know if this is true or not but I do know the ground is very hard and it is very dry. In fact I was a little surprised the plow even went in the ground. The first day I made one round in the field. The first pass down the field went really well and I thought hmm this won't be to bad! When I got to the other end I made a big loop and headed back across the field. Before I had covered 100 feet I discovered it wasn’t going to be as nice as I hoped. The tractor bucked, snorted and used other forms of movement to let me know this was quite a challenge. I spent most of my spare time today bouncing around the field. This plow is a cross between a V Ripper and am old fashioned plow. IT is designed too crack the subsoil and not disturb the top soil. IT shatters the soil about 15 inches in the ground and allows the rain to be soaked in and because the surface is not affected much there is very little erosion. This is an excellent piece of equipment. If I can keep it moving forward......

No comments: