Monday, April 17, 2006

Hiccup

I am currently having a rather acute attack of the hiccups. I hate hiccups. I am one of those who will have a monstrous hiccup and then they will be gone. Tonight, however, appears to be a different story. I have had them for several minuets now and it is growing rather old. One night I had a really bad case of them and my wife finally told me to "Go eat a tablespoon of brown sugar." (I really like brown sugar!) I, being the skeptic I am, responded with much scorn and doubt. Because I like the taste of brown sugar I decided it was a good excuse to splurge. I hiccuped my way to the cupboard and took a rather large spoonful of the malty sugar. I was much surprised when my case of the hiccups immediately ceased. I have no idea why but they did. I am now going for the brown sugar with a large spoon.....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

try a spoonful of peanut butter... that'll clam you up...

Val said...

Drinking out of the far side of a glass of water *always* works. Try it...
:o)

Glen Zehr said...

Yep, It works every time.....

Ben and Juanita said...

I have a patented method of getting rid of hiccups.

Get a glass of water...begin drinking it very slowly and continue drinking through a couple hiccups. Just breath through your nose between swallows. Usually after about one or two they will cease to exist. My theory is that the involuntary swallowing actually overrides the hiccups. Works for me 100% of the time.

Tim Rice said...

Fascinating solutions, indeed.

Momof3 said...

Before I read your wife's suggestion, I was thinking about my solution, which is very similar, only I use a spoonful of white sugar, and hold it under my tongue until it all dissolves and the hiccups have 'dissolved' as well.
~Lez

Anonymous said...

Ok Glen, the Sugar works. Once Dan had hiccups for 9 days straight. Awful loud belching hiccups that came from way down in his body. Day and night he hiccupped. We went to several doctors, had tests done, they would not stop!! Tried every remedy we knew and some we didn't know. One evening as I was leaving to go to town and asked him what I could get for him he asked for Jelly Beans!! He has never asked for jelly beans!! I bought him top of the line jelly beans and would you believe, wonder of wonders, within 20 minutes of eating jelly beans the hiccupps stopped!! Now jelly beans are almost 100% sugar, but he had tried white sugar and it hadn't worked!! So if you get tired of the brown sugar, try jelly beans...For a long time we always had jelly beans in the house, just in case!! We will never know why he had them for 9 days, but it knocked him flat!! I think the Lord gave him a message to try jelly beans!!