Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Sierra Janae

Five years ago, Oct. 24, Rachel went into labor. Now, you may need to know this pregnancy occurred after wise, smart, intelligent people told us we had 1% chance of having biological children. This pregnancy came after struggling through infertility treatments and deciding God wanted us to adopt someone. My wife decided to use a midwife with Dr. backup. The only problem was the midwife was located in Charlottesville Va. which is an hour and a half drive. On Oct. 24 Rachel went into labor and we waited. Her mother came down on this day and she thought a ride in the pick up would be a good way to to help her get the show on the road. I was more than willing to show them the countryside and we proceeded to cover some very rough terrain. When we woke up on Wed. the 25th, things had progressed enough that we thought we should take a ride in the van to the midwife. There was some discussion as to whether her mom should go with us. After pondering it a little I decided she should go along. This turned out to be a very wise decision. We arrived at the midwives establishment around eleven in the morning. Got settled and waited. She labored and labored and labored. I labored and labored and labored. Her mother labored and labored and labored. On Thursday the 26th, we had just about had enough. I was turning into an emotional wreck. Rachel was no closer to having this baby then she was on Tuesday. After much discussion the midwife decided we should go to the hospital. There was only one little catch the hospital in Charlottesville did not like the midwives so, guess what, we got to drive an hour back to Lynchburg. I really wanted to go 100 but I managed to keep the speed around 80. After arriving at the hospital around 5 it took them 2 hours to give her an epidural. I will never forget I had finally had all I could take and I called my mother. When she answered the phone I just started weeping. She knew the baby had been lost.... She kept asking me if everything was all right and all I could blubber out was yes. The funny thing was the nurse that gave the epidural came in the room while I was on the phone. I am sure he thought I was some kind of lousy husband weeping like a baby......

No comments: