Monday, October 24, 2005

Belonging

Yesterday morning our Jayden and Jackson were dedicated. My wife's father spoke on what it means to be a father. He touched on the incredible responsibility we have. The way we as fathers relate to our children and how that affects there view of life. How it affects there view or perception of our Heavenly Father. He talked some about how our children react to the way they are treated, do they feel loved. This thought led nicely into my dad's thoughts as he talked solely about belonging. How do our children expect to feel like they belong to us when we often mistreat them. Don't say were sorry or tell them we love them. Do we communicate with our children? The importance of having a relationship with our children. What are some ways you parents are using to develop relationships with your children. Those of you who are not married, what are some things your parents did that helped you develop a relationship with them?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the last year my father has made a special effort to take time out of his schedule to be with me. This has touched my heart deeply. By doing this he is pursuing me and showing me that he really cares about who I am. I wish fathers would understand how much their girls need them:)) Bless you, daddy.

Anonymous said...

My Father took the time to take me hunting, swimming, and many other things. He also (as i grew a little older) never missed an opportunity to ask how i my life was going. He is also a great listener.

My mother also is there to talk. She took time out for me as well. She also shows a concern for the kind of person that I will someday be.

Eldon

P.S. Why do so few people comment on things that have to do with the spiritual part of life?

Anonymous said...

I think the reason people don't comment on spiritual things is because they are afraid. They are fearful of what other people will think of them when they become real. They are fearful of becoming real with GOd. We are scared of the truth about who we really are.
This is sad...How can we change? How can we confront our fear?

JY

Glen Zehr said...

I appreciate the honesty in these comments.....

Anonymous said...

JY, I think you hit the nail on the head as to why we don't like to talk. At least for me. I think pride has a lot to do with it.

Lavern

Anonymous said...

Also I really appreciate my parents for being willing to listen to my struggles and loving me even though I make mistakes. For their encouragement. It means a lot to know that there are people that really care about you.

Lavern