Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Divorce

Oh no, I must be crazy, not this topic.
Is divorce wrong? Is there ever a time when divorce is a good thing or the right thing? If I am not mistaken the Bible does give two valid reasons for divorce. The first is abandonment. When one spouse leaves the other. The second is adultery. When one spouse has a physical relationship with some one other than the spouses spouse. Wow, that is wordy....
What about abuse? Physical or verbal abuse. Is this cause for divorce? I have come to the conclusion there is time for divorce. Can we look at divorce the same way we look at excommunication? Before excommunicating someone the church will send two or three brethren to talk to the individual about the sin that has been committed. If the erring brother is still unrepentant, the church moves forward with the excommunication, hoping this will bring the erring person back to the Lord. Can the same be done with divorce? If the spouse who is in the wrong does not change after repeated admonition, why shouldn't the other spouse leave or divorce? I wonder if divorce would be a way to work on marriage problems. I believe it should be used as a last resort. However, I also believe if both people really want to fix the problem there never would be any divorce. Now, I also want to mention this little fact. I am discussing divorce, not remarriage. These are questions I have and I am wondering what your thought on the subject is. Maybe it is impossible to separate divorce from remarriage.

4 comments:

Momof3 said...

I disagree about it being impossible to separate divorce and remarriage. Divorce is one thing, remarriage is another. The Bible talks about divorce being an option in certain situations. It also says remarriage while your spouse is still living is NEVER acceptable. Therefore making the two separate circumstances. I believe it is possible to live divorced from your spouse for whatever reason, for the rest of your life, if that's the way it ends up, without having to give in to remarriage, which can be an evil invite from Satan to pull us away from God and His will.
Lez

Glen Zehr said...

Wow, I figured I'd get shredded on this one. By the way, I think it the two should be separated maybe I didn't make myself clear.....

Anonymous said...

My opinion: maybe not call it divorce as such. While the relationship is not functional the spouses are still bound by their vows,ie no remarriage unless on of the partners dies. Doesn't divorce ( as used today ) try to do away with the vows that have been made.

Lavern

Japheth said...

If marriage is to paralell the church with Christ, look how God related to Israel. He chastised them, was "seperated" from them for a time, yet he never took another bride. So thus, there may be a time to seperate, but God never has given the precident or acceptance for remarriage.

You must also remember the passage of 1 Cor. 7:15 allowing the "unbelieving" one to depart" but if the unbelieving one wants to stay, they should stay together.

My feeling is that divorce should be the LAST resort and then only for the safety of those involved. To often it is seen as an escape hatch for when times get tough and I find now place for that in Scripture