Saturday, October 08, 2005

Part Seven

It was a beautiful day for a beautiful wedding. The wedding began at 1:00 with Voice Of Praise (VOP), with the help of two ladies, singing You Are The New Day. The processional was Holy Holy Holy, arranged by Jon, my brother. As they sang this song the bridal party solemnly filed in and took their places at the front of the sanctuary. I, then, carried my parents up the aisle to their seats before waiting, once again, at the front of the church. Slowly Rachel’s parents brought her down the aisle to stand by my side.
Ushering my parents up the aisle was one small final way to honor them as a single man. I also wanted this to be a public statement of their support, a public endorsement.
It was also very important to us that Rachel’s parents give her to me. I was in the process of taking their little girl out of the fold. Rachel was their first daughter to marry and leave home. Imagine the questions they would be asking. How is Glen going to lead Rachel, spiritually and emotionally? How far from us will they live? How often will they come home?
Because of this Donna and I were struggling. I felt like she was trying to control me and what I wanted for my family. I realize, now, this was not what she was doing and they had a God given right to be asking themselves, and Rachel, questions about our plans. Taking this into consideration, it was important to us that they give Rachel to me.
Rachel’s grandfather, Menno Kauffman, asked the question: "Who gives this bride away?"
Bob responded, "Her mother and I."
We needed to know they were willing to make this statement in public. They, also, needed to know they had done it. I believe this is a very good way to start a marriage. With both sets of parents publically giving there consent.
Rachel’s Grandpa Kauffman read 1st Corinthians 13, the love chapter, and lead in prayer before the Sweet Fellowship was sung.
This song talks about fellow-shipping with one another, as we’re walking in the light. It is possible to have fellowship when the Father is in our midst. Is there a better way to start a marriage then basing it on fellowship with the Father?
After this song my father spoke on the need to be honest. Following the sermon we were married by Uncle Leon. I was amazed at the awesome responsibility that we were agreeing to. To love and cherish each other in sickness and health, in prosperity and destitution, in fertility and infertility. These solemn promises, I soon discovered, would take an immense amount of work.
We then lit the unity candle with the message of the song Holy Ground reverberating through the auditorium.
We are standing on holy ground,
and I know that there are angles all around.
Let us praise Him, Jesus now.
We are standing in His presence on holy ground.
Uncle Leon then presented us to the witnesses. Mr. And Mrs. Glen Zehr. I was very proud to walk back down the aisle to the singing of, Lord, I Will Praise You.
I was rejoicing, praising the Lord for, His faithfulness. The Lord who had created all things, He had created Rachel and I and, He cared deeply about us. He had led us together and , He would continue to lead. I joyfully hummed along, Oh Lord, I will praise, You.
There was a reception immediately following the service in the adjacent fellowship hall. The rest of the day is very foggy in my memory. I was honored that so many dear friends had taken the time to celebrate this day with us, I was determined to stay until most of the guests had left.
As we were leaving, about 5:00, I was amazed I had a wife. I was amazed God allowed us to begin our journey with a beautiful day. We did not know what was around the corner or how God would lead us. For the next week, life was carefree. As I write, it is easy to dream about those carefree days. If I could redo them, I would try to squeeze more out of them, because around the curve were many hard, tearful battles with life, struggling with God’s goodness.

2 comments:

Japheth said...

The honey moon is so short, yet at it's end, it is so sweet to leave the solitude of your union and face again the trials of life, not alone anymore, but with your wife by your side.

That is what thrills me each morning and gives me the greatest joy in marriage!

Glen Zehr said...

Very, very true.....
but do you feel that way every morning/all the time????