Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Social Issues

When I posted concerning home schooling, there were a number of comments which referred to the social ineptness of home schooled children. However, no one said what the problem was or what could be done to remedy that glitch in the home schooling arena. One thing I thought about in regards to this issue concerns what we consider status quo, or who is cool. Maybe the the children who are schooled at home actually are socially acceptable and the others are not. I have noticed some of these children are much easier to communicate with on an adult level. So, one question I have, is in regards to what we consider acceptable on a social level. What can be done in home school families to help alleviate the problem of what we call social ineptness? Another question concerns the possibility of a church school and a home school working together? For instance, attending music class for one hour a day or something of that nature. For some reason there usually seems to be very little acceptance of home schooled children at school. In some ways I can understand the argument which states if you want your children in school some of the time, why not send them all the time? Does social acceptance revolve totally around an individuals ability, or lack of, to play sports? Is this what we base social acceptance on?

5 comments:

Darin Yoder said...

We tried that in our homeschool escapade but I think, if anything, it made matters worse. I had always longed to go to school and then, when I was finally old enough, I had to stay home. That was a big blow.

Glen Zehr said...

Good, you answered one of the questions.....

Glen Zehr said...

I find that a little hard to believe. They have siblings for one. Two, there is church. Three, have kids over.
I don't think that needs to be the deciding factor or really needs to be an issue.

Glen Zehr said...

Probably not, I tend to be a little dense.....
GZ

Anonymous said...

I am joining this discussion late, so please bear with me. Communicating more effectively with adults is not necessarily a good thing to me. I am and have worked as a community leader in 4-H for many years (16),one thing I have seen consistently from home schooled youngsters was the need for affirmation from an adult. Some (not all) had a diffucult time taking initiative with a project, without an adult showing the steps to them individually. This seemsto me to be handicap, as "parents" won't always be available , and our goal as parents, and in the classroom setting is to teach our chilren to be thinkers, and take initiative in learning. I would agree with dave b and itf, kids need to learn to interact with other kids, and sure there are siblings, but there is a different kind of interaction on that level.
If I were in a setting where Christian schooling were not availabe, then I would find homeschooling a viable option, but outside of that, why not take avantage of what the church offers? BTW, I am in a community where homeschooling has a big following, even though we have our own very good 1-12 school.
suzy q