Saturday, September 10, 2005

Skunks & Ground Hogs

There appears to be a family of skunks living on cow deposits in the pasture. Well, its not really a pasture it's more like a large weed patch. The other night as I was getting the cows up to milk, I almost treaded upon one of these nasty little critters. After this narrow escape I began paying closer attention to the path I was treading. I noticed if I walked one way they had a tendency to go the other. This is rather encouraging because I have no desire to try new cologne. While I was feeding today I discovered two well fed ground hogs rumbling across the drive. They appear to have a home under one of the old silos that is no longer in use. Has anyone ever eaten a ground hog? Someone told me they make for fine eatin. I have no plans of putting them on my menu.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it actually gets worse. there are at least two to four skunks at the bottom of the silo every night. a couple days ago i pulled in by the shop and a great big ground hog came steaming around the fuel tank and ran into the shop. lyndon

Glen Zehr said...

Goodness me!!! I saw a skunk this morning down at the end of the old barn/new shop. WOnder how skunk would taste????

Japheth said...

I have had Ground hog, back when we were still livingout of the missionary barrel shortly after our move from NYP. As meat was scarce, and chucks were not, we tried one. Um... with enough barbeque sauce, it tasted "just like chicken."

Only differance, we continue to eat chicken, and have never eaten a ground hog again.

Anonymous said...

It is kind of disconcerting at 3:30, actually it's about 5 now isn't it, in the morning and you are maybe still a little bit sleepy and suddenly your light shines on this furry little black and white critter about ten feet away. I had this tendency to um well let's just say put a little more real estate between us. It did serve to wake me up though. Roger