Friday, September 16, 2005

Salt of the Earth

I was thinking this evening while milking about my children. I had jokingly told someone the other day they were the salt of the earth. Salt is an amazing thing if you have the right amount it will add a special dimension to any meal. Yet, if it is overpowering you will throw it out. There is also an old saying which goes something like this rubbing salt into the wound. This, of course, is similar to adding insult to injury. What struck me was how much our children can be like salt. They add a wonderful dimension to life, they make life worth living. They add spice to life. For example, I had the privilege of babysitting my niece and two nephews tonight as well as Sierra. Sierra and Megan got into a little disagreement over something and a few tears were shed by both young lasses. In the process of getting them to resolve there differences I mentioned that they needed to be like bread and butter. I went on to explain this meant they needed to learn to get along and play together cheerfully. To be very, very close friends. When I got done Megan said then we will be like Mom and Dad cuz they never fight. I thought ummm, I know that isn't true. Then I realized they must be doing things right because she has not seen any disagreements which would cause her to wonder about her parents relationship. I wonder what Sierra would say.....
I mentioned earlier that too much salt can be a problem as well. I hope and pray that when my children begin to branch out and make decisions on there own they will make God-fearing choices. The decisions my children make in the future will be based on how I am teaching them now. I know I have failed miserably many times but God is faithful. I am very thankful for my children and the ways they have and are enriching my life.
How have your children enriched your life?

1 comment:

Japheth said...

I think that it would be glorious to have a quiet house for about 3 hours, then I want them back! They do add so much life and joy to our home.

I find that they unknowingly are often holding up a huge mirror at me to show me what I am really doing. Not so pretty at times and encouraging at others.