Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Aleya Nicole

Two years ago today when my alarm rang I had no idea how dramatic this day would be. At four-o-clock in the morning all I was worried about was tripping as I went to the barn. I had a little trouble milking and was a late coming home. Instead of being home at 7:00 it was 8:00. I opened the door and stood there in total shock. Sitting on the kitchen floor were suitcases, a car seat, and many other assorted baby items. My wife came bursting around the corner and squealed "Let's go man!" "Go?" I asked. "Go where?" "Florida" she replied. "Ah, honey, why don't you tell me what is going on." Rachel said, "Ashley called and is at the hospital. She is having the baby!!!!" Fifteen minutes later we were driving out the lane. We did not know where we were going but we were going there in a hurry. As we drove we managed to dig out the atlas and find the place on the map. Punta Gorda, FL located a little south of Sarasota. Around ten or eleven we decided Rachel's mom should come and help with Sierra so we could be at the hospital. Her mom, Donna, found a flight that landed in Sarasota at the same time we would be driving through the area. This was a fifteen hour drive and we made several phone calls to Ashley through out the day to find out the success of the labor. At six in the evening we stopped at McDonalds for supper and decided to call and see what was going on. No answer. I remember telling Rachel that Ashley might be delivering and they couldn't answer the phone. At seven we called again and discovered we had a little daughter. The time of the birth was 6:07. We still had four and a half hours of driving before we would reach the hospital. We picked Donna up at 10:30 and arrived at the hospital at 11:35. It was late and they were not very busy so they let everyone in too see the baby. What a precious little girl. The baby we had waited on for four and a half years. After spending time with Aleya we went to see Ashley and her mom, Dorothy. I left Rachel talking with them and took Mom and Sierra to a hotel. After getting them settled I went back to the hospital and visited some more with Aleya's relatives. We had a wonderful time together and chatted until 2:00. We are so thankful for Aleya and those who chose to give her to us.

No comments: