Friday, December 02, 2005

Opinions

I have discovered in my short life span that my opinion generally doesn't matter. This tends to annoy me. Does my opinion really not matter? Lest this sound like poor me, let me hasten to explain. Do you ever get the feeling when you are talking with someone that they are not listening to you and their main objective in the conversation is to change your mind? Now, I realize their have been many times my opinion has needed to be changed. For years I have never been too vocal about much of anything because I don't want to offend someone or I do not want anyone mad at me. I remember my father telling me 5-10 years ago that it took him 50 years to realize he could have an opinion without feeling guilty about it. Maybe this is why he has now covered his face with the hair that naturally grows there. So I am realizing I can have an opinion and if someone is in disagreement with me that is okay. Is this a common problem or am I the only one with this dilemma?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

People are people, and opinions are opinions, everyone has got them. I am 43 and my passions are my own, not always someone else's. My passions are my God, my wife,my kids and my church.

With all the media and influences out there it can be difficult to form your own opinion, or to know what is right and just, but it can be done.

Align yourself with a thoughtful and Godly mentor. This more than anything has helped me to shape my opinions on God, family, money, work, etc.

Soldier on my mighty friends.

chrisandkathydennis@cox.net

Rob said...

What about our convictions or beliefs? They would certainly fall into a different category than opinions. Are we willing to be disliked or even hated for our beliefs? For example:
We would consider abortion and homosexuality to be terrible sins. The time may come that we will be judged and hated for our positions on these and similar issues. Just me doing a little thinking here.

Anonymous said...

Ditto, Roger.
~Susan