Saturday, December 17, 2005

Marriage

I saw a very interesting little article in the paper today. Someone from Cornell has done a survey. They discovered people who are married are happier than those who are not. Those who are living together are happier than those who are only in a significant relationship however, they are not as happy as those who are married. They are suggesting that commitment seems to have something to with one's happiness. I must disagree. To say that people who are married are happier than those who are not seems a little bit ridiculous. I know a lot of people who are unhappily married. They are living in survival mode. I am fairly certain this is a chronic problem in Mennonite churches as well as in the world. The other thing I found interesting about the article was the picture they had put with the article. Imagine a lovely couple sitting on the coach. The gentleman has his arm around the lady and they appear to be enjoying each other. However, in the man's hand was an electronic device called a remote. He has it pointing towards something. Because they appear to be staring at something and not at each other, I assume they are watching TV. Now, I find it hard to believe they can be very happily married if they spend a significant amount of time watching someone else live a fake life......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's something that bugs me about the movie industry. They claim to support "good family time" but what do their movies often portray? People selfishly doing as they please. That's prolly not true of all companies but at least the more mainstream secular ones.

Lavern

Anonymous said...

on the other hand the people on the couch might spend less time watching movies together than some of us spend on the computer alone. i have been challenged lately to try to include my family in whatever i am doing more.

Anonymous said...

I was more talking about the type of "marriage" relationships that are portrayed. Those relationships are often anything but good for real family life. You have a good point as well.

Lavern

Glen Zehr said...

I don't know Lyndon. Most movies are at least 90 min. long. I don't spend any where near that much time on the computer. But I would if I could....
It's all about priorites isn't it....