Saturday, June 10, 2006

Talk Radio

How many of you listen to talk radio?
How many of you can't hardly survive without it?
I used to listen to talk radio all the time but in the last 2-3 years I have stopped listening to all political talk radio shows. Shows like Rush Limbaugh, Neil Boortz, Clark Howard, G Gordon Liddy, and Dr. Laura. (Okay, Dr. Laura and Clark Howard are not politacally based shows.) I felt uncomfortable with them. Oh, they were interesting and funny but, in my opinion, they were basically unwholesome. I think their critical approach to the topics they were covering was and has affected my view of other people. I began to think like them concerning government and the people they spend their time discussing. But I think this attitude also began to affect my view of the local church and people in general. Their are two in my list who are probably being helpful in some form. Those two are Clark Howard and Dr. Laura. Now I would also like to mention sports talk radio. I do still listen to ESPN Radio on the rare occasion but in all honesty they spend half their time talking about things that have nothing to do with sports and Colin Cowherd can be downright dirty. I do listen to WFAN which is based in New York City. They stick to sports.
Thoughts any one?

4 comments:

Glen Zehr said...

Well, actually I listen to very little sports radio. However, I am not big on politics......
I can understand the putrification.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy politics and talk radio, but I do agree on its affect on attitudes. I know it did mine. I've been unable to listen to the radio for eight months and I can't say that its hurt me too badly. I do like the news coverage side of it, especially Sean. I thought he covered the Shivo case very well.

Lowell

Anonymous said...

I have listened to Rush for years, and I appreciate that he provides a side to current topics that without him would be difficult to find discussed anywhere else; however there are times when I get a little weary of it and just need a break. I don't think that what you're feeling is all that unusual. No one says we have to listen to everything that's out there all the time, and it's pretty hard to get upset or turned-off by peace and quiet!

Glen Zehr said...

True, my radio has an on/off button and when I get weary of it I turn it off. If I don't care for it I shouldn't listen to it, aye?