Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Roundup Ready?

I don't know how many of you are aware of this fact but technology has given seed corn companies the ability to developed seed corn that is Roundup resistant. This means you can spray roundup to kill all the weeds and it will not harm the corn. Well, I planted 15 acres of corn with a 90 day RR seed corn. At least I thought it was RR, that was what I was told, I think. Anyway, we sprayed five acres Fri. for Johnson grass and I was rather shocked when I drove by it Sunday evening on my way home to notice everything was dying. Now, I hate to point fingers and things of that nature but someone made a big boo boo. There are several options here concerning what may have happened.
1. They put the wrong seed in the bag.
2. I was given the wrong seed.
3. I had a brain lapse and didn't catch the problem when I planted.
4. My agronomist didn't catch the problem.
5. Everyone messed up.
There are also two things that are positive.
1. It was only five acres.
2. The chemical worked.

1 comment:

Glen Zehr said...

I didn't mention that I beat head against the wall first, did I.....:)