Monday, June 19, 2006

Honoring My Father

I cannot believe I did not tell my Father Happy Father's Day yesterday. I talked to him last evening on the phone after our program. Daddy called me and wondered how our program went. (We were singing at Pilgrim in Stuarts Draft Va.)
Anyway, I forgot.....
I have been pondering this post for roughly a month and I still do not know what I should say.
Why do I love and appreciate my father? I am not sure I can put it into words. My father was, in his words, an absent father. I remember him doing things with me/us children and I reminded him of this fact. However, his response was something like this, I never completed a project with you. I was so involved in my world. I didn't take the time to do something with you like build a birdfeeder or anything like that. We milked together but that doesn't really count. Now, I love my father deeply but I did have to agree with him that was what happened. I cannot be angry with someone who admits he made a mistake. So, that is one reason I love my father. He has always been very honest about himself and who he is as a person.
I love my father because it doesn't matter if I make a complete fool of myself he will love me. He will be okay with me. I love my father because he is proud of me and tells me so and because he tells friends of his that he is proud of his children. Do you know how it feels to hear someone else tell you I was talking to you dad the other day and he told me he is proud of his children. That is special....
I must also add that my father has been an incredible example of living a Christ-like life. His desire to live this way has spilled into the lives of many people. I am thankful God decided to place me in my parents home. That I was shepherded by a man who has sincerely followed the Shepherd.
Daddy, you are loved.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fathers are wonderful people. I'm proud of you for accepting your father. You are right, we can't stay bitter when they admit their failures to us as children.
I honor my father because he's been humble enough to admit his mistakes, and his lack of involvement in my life when I needed him. I call that a courageous father.
And yes, you have a good father. I know for a fact that he's proud of his children.
blessings as you father your children!
Joanne

Anonymous said...

As someone who has much respect for your father, I enjoyed your comments here. A good father is less likely than ought to be.