Tuesday, June 13, 2006

King's Heralds

Several weeks ago Mr. ITF did a post on the King's Heralds latest album entitled Encores. In this post he talked about their newest member, Jeff Pearless, who sings bass. I made a few comments concerning the bass sound on this album. My comments also were based on what I heard from a good source. I stated in my comments that I had reason to believe that Jim Ayers was actually still singing some of the overdub parts on the Encore album and that Jeff Pearless had redone all of the main bass vocals. Therefore we were still hearing Jim Ayers enhancing Jeff's sound. If I remember right I also stated that I thought the jury was still out on how good Jeff Pearless really is.
Today at lunch the phone rang and I could not believe who was on the other end of the line. It was Jerry Patton. Jerry sang second tenor for the King's Hearlds for 36 years. He had found the post that Mr. ITF had done and he wanted to chat with me about my concerns with the group and some of the statements I had made. So we had a nice chat in which I learned that my good source may not have been as good as I thought. However, in my good source's defence I must say that if the King's Heralds pulled out only the bass tracks their is a very good possibility that you would still be able to hear Jim Ayers bleeding through the other three microphones. When this happens you have what is referred to as a ghost/phantom voice. What Jerry informed me was that Jim is NOT on the album. So, I stand corrected. I told them I was sorry if I had caused a problem. Jerry informed me I had not caused a problem but they just wanted to clarify and give me the most accurate information that they could. I appreciated their honesty about the album and I will continue to support the group. I was given the opportunity to voice some other concerns I have. The main one being their move toward southern gospel music. Jerry informed me that their has been a minor move in that direction but that the group was not moving away from the sound they have been producing for the last eighty years.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for clarifying the concerns. I have listen to both Encore albums and can make out difference in notes, changes in tempo and piece of the vocal arrangements. It was pretty clear to me that some of the songs had been recorded again and others perhaps only the bass track. I love the sound of The King's Heralds and am looking forward to their new albums. I think the quartet is moving to new heights, something that may not have realistically been possible with Jeff joining the Quartet. Ever wonder why it has taken this fine group 80 years to finally get a "foot in the door".

Anonymous said...

Clarification: I meant to say "without" Jeff joining the quartet. Jeff Pearles bring a loyal fan base and credibility. The quartet will now experience what Jeff has already experienced and will become known because Jeff is well known, liked and respected in the industry.

Scribe said...

Oh my goodness, somebody who sounds like they know something about KH! This might be my lucky day: When I was growing up, we had an exceptional tape by Jim Ayers where he sang and accompanied himself on guitar. I remember only two of the songs -- Welcome, delightful morn (I think that might be the name of the tape)and a song (called?) the hill of the Skull. Now, years later, I search and search -- either for this tape (preferably) or even for the words to the songs, especially hill of the skull, which I have forgotten. Have you heard or heard of this tape? Perhaps even have it? If you have ANY hints, do clue me in on my quest!
Looking forward muchly.

Anonymous said...

I have this recording you're talking about... or at least I had it. I'll look through my music and see.

Larry said...

Hi everyone. I believe the King's Heralds are the best gospel quartet in the world today. Jeff has some very powerful low notes. Scroggs is outstanding. Joel has a good voice as well. And there is Russell who just knows how to add some lovely melody! I pray that the group will continue singing until our Lord returns.
However why does the group produce only one album a year?
And can someone tell me if Don Scroggs is one of the best first tenors in gospel music...

Unknown said...

RANDOM HELLO BROTHER, type from CHILE TO CONGRATULATE YOU FOR YOUR BLOGS AND INFORMATION THAT GAVE THE KINGS Heralds, a quartet COUNTRY very dear to me ...
NOW, I write for the following reason:
BELONG TO A QUARTET OF MY CITY, intone SONGS
HERLADS KING, THEN WHAT ARRANGEMENTS ARE A HOOPER WAYNE DISPOSAL NU STRA ... BUT WE WANT TO SING ALL THE ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE SOUL BIG JIM Teel ... A WAY OF GETTING THERE .. BUY, BUY THESE ARRANGEMENTS AND WANTED .. tirelessly for the WEB .. BUT NOTHING ...
I AM USING A TRANSLATOR, SINCE MY ENGLISH IS NOT VERY GOOD ...
OJALA you can help ....
Is dismissed, SERGIO ALTAMIRANO
Coyhaique, Chile

PLEASE REPLY TO THIS MAIL
CUARTETOEXALTAR@GMAIL.COM

Anonymous said...

I hear the King's heralds are soon to release their latest southern gospel album. Its called "Wake Up Church". Does anyone have it already by chance? I would love to hear some reviews on it before I purchase it.