Thursday, February 02, 2006

Obstetrics

This afternoon I noticed an older cow was in the early stages of calving. She was losing some fluid. However, I could not see any hooves. (In case you are a novice, calves are born front feet first with the head lying neatly between the front legs.) I decided to let her alone for an hour and then check on her. I put her in the calving pen and went to do some other things. When I returned the calves feet were still absent. I decided to have an exploratory feel. I shoved my sleeve up over my elbow and inserted my hand into the cow. At first I was a little bewildered. I could feel the calves head but could not find any feet. I thought I had a leg but it turned out to be the calves lower jaw. Where were the feet? Groaning I forced my arm gently further into the murky darkness of the cows uterus. Finally, with my arm in the cow to the shoulder, I found leg #1. I wrapped my fingers around the knee joint and was able to bring it around to the proper position. Now back for leg #2. This leg seemed to be a little further away and I could barely get my fingers around it. When I did I was able to bring this one around also. Knowing everything was at the right spot I left her alone. About an hour or so later I checked on her again. I saw the calf was out except for its hips. Before I could get there mamma cow stood up and began to walk in a circle. Thus the calf fell in a heap in the sawdust. A lovely heifer calf. She should be a good one. By the way, when a calf isn't lying correctly the cow will not dilate right. This causes a lot of stress for the cow and the farmer......

2 comments:

Val said...

Boy am I glad I'm not a farmer.
:o)

Glen Zehr said...

Sorry.....