Friday, March 07, 2008

The Routine

Here is what we were doing or what I was doing.
Step 1. Dip the teats and pre-strip five cows.
Step 2. Clean five cows.
Step3. Put milkers on five cows.
The new routine is this.
Step 1. Dry strip and dip five cows. In other words I am dipping (foaming in my case) the cow after I strip her.
Step 2. Clean and attach the milker. In stead of cleaning five cows and then going back and putting the milker on I am attaching the milker as soon as I finish cleaning the cow. You have a 70 second window to get the milker on the cow. From the time you first touch her till the milker is attached. I am being told that it is extremely important for everyone to do the same thing every time. I believe the cows will begin to understand what is happening. They will get into the routine which will make a happier cow. Happier cows make more milk....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting!

You do write some very interesting blubs on your blog, I must say.

MIL

Glen Zehr said...

I'm sorry, What did You say? Exactly what is a blub?
SIL