Friday, March 14, 2008

Expansion

Bruce was here again today. We talked for several hours, four-five to be exact. We were pushing some numbers. He showed me that I could go get a $150,000 loan to buy 30 cows, an electronic ID system for 140 cows. At 8% interest on a five year loan, after feed costs and a loan payment of $3100 a month I would still be profiting $1000 a month. In two years these numbers would change because I would then be milking offspring from those initial 30 cows....
Low and behold I thinks I am going to do it..... In some form or another.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OUCH...So is that profit of $1000 a month going to pay extra hired help or won't you need any? And what if the price of milk drops back to $11 a hundred? Ouch, OUCH OUCH!!!!
ng

Greg said...

hey, I think that's cool.

Glen Zehr said...

Well, what if the price stays at 18-20-22....
I can't spend the rest of my life living in fear of the unknown. Doing or living in fear of the unknown hasn't helped the farm in the past ten years.

ITF said...

Fascinating. Go for it. No risk, no reward.