Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Funeral

My sister and I attended Kevin Horst's funeral today. Kevin was a young man who died in a motorcycle accident Friday eve. He was the husband of Lisa Atkinson Horst. I knew Lisa very well years ago. Lisa finds herself a widow and the mother of 4 plus the little one living inside of her. When I hear of these types of situations I wonder Why? To be honest they make me upset. Kevin was a good man and was highly respected in his community. Apparently he was an excellent trim carpenter. It was also very apparent that he has made an impact on his wife's younger siblings. Lisa will be facing life alone and that thought has to drive her crazy. I think I would want to beat my head against the wall. I know God is sovereign and I am very thankful that he has our lives in His hands. Marcus Yoder preached and in his message he made this statement: Jesus has taken the sting out of death. Jesus faced death and won. Jesus will give us victory. I am paraphrasing some but I think that was the thrust of his sermon. How do we mourn with those we are unable to empathize with?

1 comment:

jump4joy said...

I don't know how to make sense of these kind of things either. Those who don't have God have no hope at all. At least as Christians we have that and the knowledge that God is in control and will work all things for His good. That doesn't take away the pain and they definitely need people to walk with them in the days ahead. The pain of losing someone is not easy to deal with.