Thursday, October 04, 2007

Hot Ash

Yesterday evening I was informed that one of our fields was on fire and the fire department had been summoned. I hastened my body out to the field and discovered some small flames licking at the corn stubble. I also discovered a very white pile of ash. They are suppose to put water on the stuff when they load the trailer. I don't know if they didn't put enough on the load or what happened. The pile is extremely hot. It is also close to the woods, like 30' close. Now I am wrestling with a decision. IT is unsafe to leave and it is unsafe to spread. If I could get my manure truck full of water and have it sitting out there I would feel better but I don't have a good way to do that. Also, due to lack of rain we are under a no burn law. The field is going to burn so how much trouble will I be in with the forestry people. I am going to call them this morning and see what they say about my problem.

No comments: