Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Time or Money

Once upon a time, a fellow wondered why we didn't just buy a new dump truck instead of trying to fix the old hag we were working on for the last century. By the way, we worked on that thing for 9 long months and still were not able to use it for silo filling, that, my friend, is frustrating. Anyway, I told him "I have more time than money. My time isn't really worth anything because I don't get paid by the hour." Now, I realize this argument has lots of holes in it. One is the fact that I could be doing lots of other useful things with my time, like playing a round of golf, instead of having angry fits while working on da beast. (Why is it that manufacturing company's never put something together in a manner that makes it easy to fix?) So, how do we, or what do we, base monetary decisions on? Fix it yourself or pay some one to do it for you while you do something else? Are there times when it makes you money to pay someone else money?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the old sloping line i am afraid...depends how much time v. how much money...not every one is as wealthy as the famous baritone...=)
joshuabgood

Anonymous said...

Shoveling calves may be one of those times! Not so much for the money as the agony!

Lavern

Glen Zehr said...

How do you shovel calves????
GZ

Anonymous said...

You don't want to know Glen - I heard all about it last night, and it was not *ahem* an extremely uplifting topic. =D But as far as paying someone to do something, well, I don't usually have to pay anybody to do something. Car work? I've got generous (and smart) brothers. Other stuff? I'm afraid I don't do big enough things to require someone else doing it. Cleaning the house? Giving the dog and cat a bath? Scrubbing the microwave? Cooking? It would be kind of pointless to pay someone else to do it. And plus I don't have money to spare. And I have extra time anyway. But there are certainly times when it's better to pay someone else to do a job. But I don't feel like I'm making a point. So I'll stop. TTFN!
~Susan

Anonymous said...

Glen, to shovel a calf: first, unknowingly leave him stuck between hay bales in a nice hot barn for about at week. Second, begin to notice odors from said barn. Third, move hay out of the way for better access. Forth, hyperventilate for 1 hour before proceeding to next step! Fifth, begin holding breath. Sixth, continue holding breath while shoveling. Seventh, hope to always find dead calves that can be pulled with a chain without causing them to be dismembered!

Lavern

P.S. It was Wimmpy's calf, not ours.