Saturday, August 13, 2005

Light From Heaven

I am in the middle of what I would call a good read. I realize that some folks may consider me a sentimental fool but I find this book to be one of those that is hard to put down. Light From Heaven was written by Christmas Carol Kauffman and is based on a true story. The father in this story is a faithful church member and studies his Sunday school lesson without fail. He rarely misses church and is considered by most to be a devout Christian. However, the life this man lives at home is not consistent with how he appears in church. The question that has been running through my mind concerns hypocrisy. How many people are able to put on a wonderful Christian image on Sunday and on Monday will yell at their spouse and beat there children. I wonder also about things that are less obvious. Like saying thank-you or please. What kind of example am I. Would people call me or you a hypocrite? What, exactly, would you consider hypocrisy. Perhaps we can ask the question this way. Is everyone a hypocrite to a certain degree?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you have finally succumbed and joined the ranks.
I just read that book last week or the week before too. The thing that got me is that no one in their church knew how bad things were in that home. Their lives were terrible for years and no one knew. It's scary. How many people are there around me that have those sorts of trouble that no one knows about. It's kinda unsettling.
Anyway, just thought I'd say hi to the sentimental softy. :)

Glen Zehr said...

Ah, yes, I think I know who this anonymous person is. I do agree it is unsettling and is worth thinking about.

Anonymous said...

Hey this is great. I didn't realize people are actually reading stuff like this. I read this book about a year ago. Defentely worth thinking about. I wonder if some of us don't even realize we do things like this...

Anonymous said...

hmmmm... my fake website turned out to be somebody elses. Yikes.

Anonymous said...

I see what you mean, Glen. Definitely worth thinking about.
Susan