Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Wedding

What a beautiful wedding. Here are some facts. The bridal party consisted of Dave's children and their spouses. Roy Ulrich read scripture for the processional. I really liked this. I thought it was very unique. The recessional was a congregational song which Dave started, I think. This is also the first Mennonite wedding I have attended where clapping occurred after the couple was announced. Maybe this is common in other Mennonite circles but I was unfamiliar with it. It did feel like the appropriate thing to do. I was impressed with several things.
1. The children made a statement to Dave and Alice in the ceremony of their commitment to them.
2. Alice's desire to allow Roz's memory to live.
3. Dave's firm resolve to make this marriage a success. This is what impressed me the most and here is why. Most people who get married are very young and glib and don't know what they are getting into. Dave understands because he has been married, (For those of you who don't know the facts: Dave's first wife passed away 2 years ago.) he knows some of the struggles. However, he will be facing new challenges as he leads his family. May God give him wisdom...

1 comment:

Momof3 said...

Was the recessional "Come We that Love the Lord"? From what I've observed, Dave's famous for that song...anyone else remember that being one of the only congregational songs he leads when we're singing without books?

Wish we could've been at that wedding! I'm sure it was beautiful!
~Lez