Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Mechanical Difficulties

We have begun chopping again. We are cutting some really sorry stuff. So far we are getting a load every 2 acres or something. Makes me wonder if it is really worth doing. Anyway, I digress, yesterday I noticed smoke coming from the chopper. This, obviously, means something is rubbing something else and it shouldn't be doing this thing. So I found the offending bearing and pumped a bunch of grease into it deepest parts. Today, it started smoking again, it must have needed the nicotine. This time we discovered a few other problems. This bearing is on the main shaft that is rotating the knives. We noticed some of the knives had been rubbing on something and we naturally assumed it was the sheer-bar. So I got down on one knee and peered through the debris and discovered the knives were a long way from the sheer-bar. This lead to the 2x4 wobble test. We placed the 2x4 in a strategic prying spot and were able to determine that the shaft was moving up down and every which way. This confirmed our worst fears. The bearing was shot, BANG!!! So we tore it apart and were happy nothing else got tore apart before we tore it apart. (Do you know what I mean?) I called my trusty John Deere dealer and discovered they didn't have the part in stock. It is suppose to be their by 8:00 in the morning. Time will tell... Just so you know, I spent four hours today fighting with a dump wagon flat....

3 comments:

Nodleulations said...

Oh the joys of farming...

Anonymous said...

ihope things will get better as chopping contiues, oh don't we know all about those breakdowns at the wrong time.
www.xanga.com/wanwilhurst

Anonymous said...

Oh Glen. Farming is a struggle. :( But then sooo is life. BUT the Father. MIL