Friday, August 03, 2007

Crop Ins.

In the past crop ins. has been a rather painless expierence. Aside from the fact your crop is bad. We would leave several rows of corn maybe 50-100 feet long. When the adjuster was able to make it out he would adjust your yield based on these strips. The last several years the ins. company has been getting more and more painful to work with and this year they are really being brutal. First, I got a letter stating I needed to inform them two weeks before I start harvesting or they were not going to pay me if I had a loss. Second, I was told I would need to leave 8 rows of corn in the field. Third, I would have to be authrized to start cutting even if the adjuster cannot make it out to inspect the crop. He would have to mail me a form to sign.
On point number one. I don't know two weeks before it is time to cut. A lot can change in two weeks. No rain, 90 degree temperatures, dry wind. This type of weather will dry a crop down in week. Waiting on them would put the hurting on forage quality.
Point # 2. Leaving eight rows of corn is amazing. That could be several loads of silage. Sure I could go back and get it but who knows when the adjuster will get here to look at it. It would be a pathetic loss...
Number 3 is just a plain headache....
I am beginging to wonder if crop ins. is more trouble then it is worth....

No comments: