Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Tales From The Attic

This tale revolves around a dead rat, two men, a little boy, and my mother. The details are a tad sketchy because I have no memory of this tale. The facts are based on what I was told by one of the men. I will not divulge any names lest you think less of these men then you should think. Long ago when I was child the farm was owned by five men, a partnership. These men were on the grounds everyday. I was usually out showing the men how to work and trying hard to keep them on the straight and narrow path. I must have reached about the three year mark on my life's timeline when this tale took place. The two men were working in the calf barn, known as the Old Barn, and found a dead rat!!! These fine men placed the dead rat in a bag and told me to Run give this to your mamma! I was a lad who wanted to please so off I dashed. (I was unaware of the bags contents.) The men found strategic windows and doors to peek around while I was racing for the house. I bounded up the steps and kicked the door, I assume, (I have been told this a habit of mine.) Mamma came to the door and I obediently handed her the bag.
She peeked in the bag and did what any woman would do. She flung the bag out into the yard while shrieking wildly. Meanwhile the men, who were still out of sight, were bent over laughing and slapping their knees.
Mamma knew I would not have done such a thing without being told and she scanned the horizon vehemently for the individuals who sent the package but to no avail.
I don't think the identity of these two blokes was ever discovered.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I had blocked that out of my memory but now it sort of comes back. :) your mama

Glen Zehr said...

Do you know who it was???