Saturday, August 26, 2006

Stocks

While milking the other morning my mind wandred off into some unknown and strange places. I can't remember what sparked the thought but I began to ponder the stockmarket. The basic question was centered around whether I as a christian should participate in buying and selling stocks. Currently I don't have any stocks or ever have had any stocks. My reason for not having any has nothing to do with religion or what I believe. However, the thought that went through my mind was this. Is their a difference between the New York Stock Exchange and playing the lottery? Would I not be taken a gamble by buying stocks? Or is it okay because one, stocks, would be a buisness venture and could be a wise thing to do. The chances for success would be much greater, I guess...
How many of you have stocks and how does it work? Maybe my ignorance on the subject can explain why I don't see much difference between the two.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glen, you really need to go to vse.marketwatch.com and try their virtual stock exchange. That said, investing usually requires that you have some wealth to invest. Ergo, I don't have much experience.

Anonymous said...

Isn't your 'live STOCK ' and farming venture a gamble? I have always heard farming is a gamble.. I Don't know much about stocks either, but I do know we have some.Don't get excited...there's not that much there...