Monday, August 07, 2006

Garfield Monday

You will not believe how Garfieldish this day was.
To get things off to a roaring start I was awakend at 1:00 AM by a loud pounding on my front door. It was the milkman. He did not have current at the only recepticle he can use. I told him I would be right over. I stumble into the milkhouse and discover that one of the wires is broken at the breaker box. I was glad it was a minor problem and easily fixed. I crawled back into bed about 1:45.
At 4:00 the hated, annoying, alarm rings. I trudge morosely to the barn after swallowing 4 ibuprophen. I now have a headache and am feeling the effects of a sore throat and head cold. After my morning nap I head to the vets to pick up some heifers. (I do not raise my own heifers.) Oh me, I forgot to mention that I had to catch cows for the hoof trimmer while milking this morning. This always makes milking take longer and I am not a fan of sorting cows while milking.
I didn't get home for lunch till 1:30 and, because we were hoping to chop some more today, ny lunch hour turn into a 15 minute blink of the eye. We did make it to the field about 3:00. First load went fine. Second load went fine except for one minor detail. The header drive chain came apart. Third load went fine till the end of the load. The header lost two gathering chain shear pins and I had to replace them. This header is set up very nice and it is east to do but corn fields are always hotter when I have to work on something. Fourth load went fine. Fifth load, oh wait, their was no fifth load. The header was of the opinion we were not getting the hint. He was weary, he broke, we wept. I unhook dump wagon and take worthless machinery to shop. We perform surgery. We fix well. We are dirty and we are tired and we think the header better learn a lesson and not try this again tommorow.

One another note. Sierra had her first day of school toady. Yes it was at home and went well. We hope day 101 goes well as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If it'd been me, tools would have been flying when the drive chain came apart. You're a patient fellow...