Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Moustache

As I have mentioned before I tend to listen to ESPN radio on certain occasions. Today was one of those occasions. Colin Cowherd (I am not making his last name up) opened his show by talking about the moustache. He mentioned a very interesting fact. In the NFL there are 28 or so teams. Of these 28 teams nine of them are coached by men who wear a moustache. In college football you have roughly 200 division one football teams. Out of these 200 teams there are only 5 coaches who wear moustaches. So Colin wondered why. I think he made several very interesting points.
Point #1 Most parents would not want their children to be coached by a man who wears a moustache. Sounds crazy? Hold on a second before you blow his idea out of the water. Imagine you are on a recruiting mission and are asking some 16-17 year old kid to give you four years of his life would you as the parent be thrilled about the image of a guy sporting a moustache? I wonder...

Point #2 Coaches in the NFL wear moustaches because it portrays an image of power/dictatorship. (His words not mine.) Here is what really caught my attention. He started naming men who wore moustaches who were big time dictators. Stalin and Hitler are the only two I remember but he had four or five more national leaders on his list. Is this why men wear moustaches and not beards or goatees?

1 comment:

Glen Zehr said...

Good question....
I am wondering if you think people wear the moustache only hoping it will make them look more powerful. I don't really have an opinion except to say it is an interesting idea...
Okay I think I have totally confused everyone....