Friday, January 27, 2006

Schedule Change

I have changed our milking schedule, just in case you were dying to know. We are in the process of switching to twice a day milking. We will be milking tonight at 6:00 and tomorrow morning at 7:30 and then Sat. night at 8:30. Cows are animals of consistency so I hate to make to many changes. At this current moment they are rather uncomfortable. They are used to be milked at 5:30, 1:30, and 9:30. Right now they haven't been milked since 5:30 this morning.
One other interesting bit of information for you. The other day I got this certified letter in the mail. This letter said that my cyroscope was not what it should have been. Now I must confess I had no idea what my cyroscope was. I made an informative phone call and discovered this test means that I had water in my milk. Alas, this is true. On the day the ran this test I had forgotten to take the pipe out of the tank and pumped the rinse cycle water into the tank. This allowed me to unintentionally ship an extra 200lbs of milk. People do not like to pay for water in the milk. The penalty for this offence? If I get caught one more time in the next two years they say they will not allow me to ship grade A milk. This would be terrible. Hopefully I don't have another memory lapse.....

2 comments:

Rob said...

Wow. I always said I could never be a dairy farmer because of the "ungodly", early morning, milking hours! Starting at 7:30 ain't too bad. Is the industry trying to get all dairy operations on this sort of schedule?

Glen Zehr said...

Oh no... This is just me. everyone can do as they please.....
GZ