Monday, January 09, 2006

Decisions

How do you decide whether or not you should attend a funreal? When the person who died was not a close friend but was someone you knew? You knew the family 15 years ago but were not real close to the children. You know them and yet you don't really.... Does it make any difference how many people will be at the funreal? I don't know what to do.....
Does it make any difference if your parents are going? Does that eliminate some of the should go feelings?
How do you decide what to say to the family? How do you comfort them?

1 comment:

Glen Zehr said...

Well, my wife would not come regardless of my decision. Quite frankly it is to much work. She also feels like, and I agree, that for me to spend 8-10 hours driving, both ways, to spend several minutes with the family is not worth it. The funreal will be so large and I don't think I knew them well enough to make it worth while. Maybe this all sounds selfish.....
I do not need the closure that comes with attending a funreal. I also don't think the family needs me this week. I may send them a card or give Val a call in a couple weeks after everyone else has gone home and he is back to the daily grind.....
I agree 100% with you Cretora. I think people talk to much at funreals......