Friday, January 20, 2006

Potty Trained

Aleya is now officially potty trained. She had begun crawling up on the changing table because she could not stand wearing a wet diaper. Rachel had started training her sometime ago but we were away from home so much we decided to wait. So two weeks ago Rachel started again and in one week she was trained. I realize their is a large school of thought on when you should train children. I have come to the conclusion that if you are willing to wait until the child is ready the child and the mother will be living a less stressful life. What is your opinion? Should we be training our six month old boys? If I am not mistaken some people try to get this accomplished. I believe it is silly. What do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea for Aleya, and I'm jealous. Daniel will soon be three and he has no clue. I'm trying hard but have come the conclusion that's he just not ready; he just doesn't mind being messy or wet at all! So every child will be different.

Anonymous said...

I totally feel like its important to wait until the child is ready. Yes I may be able to figure out when he needs to go potty and get him there on time, but then I would feel that I am the person that is trained, not my son. With my 3 oldest, I waited until they were ready, and it was a breeze!!

Momof3 said...

You may not want my opinion since I'm not a mother, yet!, but I have 'raised' quite a few toddlers through my daycare when I lived in VA, and pottytraining was one of my jobs!
I agree with Cretora that it's better to wait until a child is ready--otherwise they're not nearly as cooperative and it IS more stressful on the parent/caregiver.
Boys often are older than most girls till they're ready--can't explain that one, especially since one of my girls seemed to take forever until we got serious about losing the pull ups and using cloth underwear! Didn't take long then!
Kudos to Rachel and you for your success! Hope the nighttimes soon follow suit with Aleya trained then too!
~Lez

Glen Zehr said...

Oh my, she was dry the first night....
Sadly this seems to be a sporadic thing. Sometimes dry and sometimes wet......