Friday, July 06, 2007

Manure Pump

I don't remember but I think I mentioned this in an earlier post. It was probably two months ago now. At the time I had purchased a manure pump at an auction for $250. Well, the last ten days we have been working on this pump. We are nearing completion. I need to manufacture some hydraulic lines and then it will be finished. The pump was 21 feet long when I bought it and now it is close to 40 feet long. We took a hitch off of an old 3960 chopper and I then spliced it onto the existing hitch. The actual hitch that connects to the tractor was very wore out, kinda like me, so I discarded it. I then went out into the bushes and found an old corn planter that had burned. I cut this tounge off and took it back to the shop. I discovered that this new toungue would slide inside of the chopper hitch. (These hitches were tubes... Is any of this making sense???) I then welded this to the chopper hitch which was welded to the manure pump hitch. We had rebuild and patch a few other things as well. I must say I am feeling very good about what we have accomplished. I will gladly post a picture of this new and improved piece of equipment if someone wants to see it. I may post it even if you don't want to see it but I think I am now beginging to ramble andstuffsoIthinkitistimetostoppppp

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This manure pump sounds really interesting to me! You did a good job explaining about the hitch; I understood. But why does it need to have such a long hitch? Is it so that you can back it into an especially deep lagoon with the tractor? Hope that it works.
-R.S.

Glen Zehr said...

Yes, we have a pit that is roughly 100 ft wide and 200 ft long by 10-15 ft deep. a 40 ft pump will allow us to do a better job at getting it stirred up, we hope.....