Wednesday, April 18, 2007

An Odd Discovery

Several weeks ago we were working in a flower bed by the house and found this small hole. It seemed rather shallow and I assumed something had dug a little hole. When I was coming in from the barn Monday morning I noticed the hole opening was larger. I took a shovel and stuck it down in the hole expecting to hit bottom. When my arm was buried to the shoulder I thought I had found the bottom. That evening I decided to see how deep it actually was. I took my flashlight and shone it down into the murky depths. My flashlights beam was unable to find the bottom of this hole. So next I dropped a rock down the hole. I discovered that it is almost two seconds deep. However, I am not sure how to convert that to feet... This past weekend we had between two to three inches of rain which caused the top of this hole to cave in. We have since decided that this has to be an old well. The odd thing is that no one has any memory of it ever being drilled. It is not a hand dug well it is to small. The house was built in 1962 and my grandfather has no memory of this well. I think they must have dug this well for the barn only they didn't find water and they capped it off. we have done some earth moving around the house in the past few years and slowly took the cap off. Here is what scares me. When you leave the house via the basement the path is about 6-12 inches from the top of this well. I shudder to think about some child getting off the path to smell the flowers and suddenly they are 40 feet down... I need to figure out how to fill it. Yes, I have a big rock covering it at the moment...
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Meredith said...

Falling objects increase their velocity at about 9.81 meters per second. In two seconds your pebble should have fallen about 29 meters. That would be almost 90 feet.

Amazing!

Anonymous said...

I am SOOO glad you found it..but I would want it covered with more than a big rock!!! LIKE a HUGE Rock or slab of cement or something and start getting it filled ASAP. Oh dear, it is a shuddering thought with all your little ones!!! NG

Anonymous said...

Glen, my son, this is your proud daddy. Thanks for the picture. I would love to see this hole on our next visit, but I think you need to fill this hole in tomorrow. This is dangerous, very dangerous.

Blessings,
Daddy

Anonymous said...

Did you obey your daddy? Is the hole filled yet???

Glen Zehr said...

Wouldn't you like to know.
IT is currently filled with rocks and brick. However, I do not trust it and I have my rock back over the top of the old hole. Time will tell.

Glen Zehr said...

I am wondering , Meredith, how does less then 10 meters per second equal 29? 10x2=20, at least in America. How does this work? Is something different in Canada? Am I missing something?

Meredith said...

They increase their speed by 9.81 meters per second. So by the end of one second the object is falling at the rate of 9.81 meters per second. By the end of the second second it is falling at 19.62 meters per second.

So in the first second it falls 9.81 meters in the second second it falls 19.62 meters which makes the 29 meters.

The flaw in my calculation is that it isn't falling at 9.81 meters per second at the beginning of the first second. So, my estimate was a bit high.

Here is the real equation worked out for an object falling for two seconds:

At t = 2 s

d = (0.5) * (10 m/s2) * (2 s)2 = 20 m

The actual distance would be 20 meters or about 60 feet.

Glen Zehr said...

Thanks for clarifying. I thought 90 was a bit high. 60 sounds much more reasonable....