Saturday, March 10, 2007

Self-Defense

When is it appropriate to defend ones self against an accusation which you feel is false? Does it ever do any good? Why do the accusers always appear to win? Surely you can think of some instance, whether it be from your school days or some other recent incident, in which you were accused of something inaccurate. Did it do any good whatsoever to present your side of the story? Also, let's assume for a minuet that the accusation is accurate but you were not informed of the issue and were thrown out on your ear without being talked to 1st. Then what? How do you react to this? Do you lay down and die? I must say that we as Christians sure are a strange bunch at times...

3 comments:

Ben and Juanita said...

Of course, you must remember Jesus threw the money changers out of the temple without very much discourse...I wonder if at the time those individuals felt Jesus was being unreasonable and they might have wondered why he didn't give them a chance to explain their rational reasons for their actions.

-Ben

Anonymous said...

2 Corinthians 1:3,Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort (4),who comforts us in all our troubles,so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have recieved of God.[NIV]I have discovered that when I attempt to defend myself it is all about me and my focus is off of God and his plan.God is big enough to take on our pain and comfort us,restoring that which has been broken.Defending myself has also been a way of running from the pain God has allowed to come into my life to purify and buildup.When I "glory in the pain" as Paul says I lose the need and desire to defend.In case you wonder,yes,I know pain....the kind that comes up out of your gut and sobs till you dryheave,that kind of pain.Romans 5:3-5[NIV]But we also rejoice in our suffering,because we know that suffering produces perseverence;perseverence,character;and character,hope.And hope does not disappoint us because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit,whom he has given us.Praying hard for you and yours in the tribulation you are in. Bob S.

Rob said...

Being falsely accused doesn't really bother me that much. It has helped for me to realize that as long as the Lord and I know what the truth is, that is all that really matters. I don't really feel the need to defend myself because ultimately He is my defender. It does get rough though when you feel that your reputation is being damaged by false accusations.