Friday, April 11, 2008

Mountain Climbing

Upon arriving at grandpa's house for this brief vacation I was informed we would be going on a little hike Thursday. Another family had taken this hike and greatly enjoyed it and, naturally, we thought our family would as well. I must admit I was somewhat skeptical from the begining but managed to my thoughts to myself. We, four adults and eight children, were dropped off at the top of the mountain, or hill if you are from Oregon. When we were dropped off the grandparents gave us some pertinent information concerning the trail we would be following. Be careful, they said, the trail isn't marked very well. We have never gone down the trail so we don't know where it is or what it looks like... Great, I thought, this sounds exciting. Nobody has ever tried this but I doubt it will be very difficult. Well, our tribe wandered around the top of this mountain for about 45 minuets before finding a path we thought was correct. While we were doing our wandering, I was beginning to feel like an Israelite in the desert, the grandparents were coming to meet us from the other end of the trail. They had taken our vehicles to the exiting end of the trail. We discovered we had never found the correct trail. The only reason we found the correct path was because Grandpa met us back up at the top, basically, and showed us the way to go...
I am sure there are lessons to be learned from this little experience. One of them is the fact that the further you carry 40 lbs the heavier it gets...
It was a grand experience and I think every one should take there children on such a hike as this at least once. Who knows, maybe it will help your children develop a great desire to climb Mt. Everest someday.

No comments: