Friday, September 22, 2006

Goat Island

Yes, their is a Goat Island. Their is also a Goat Island Rd. This road, however, is no where near the island. Apparently a fellow raised goats on this island years ago. I have no recollection of this but these are the facts that have been relayed to me. This island was farm land at one point in history. After the goats were removed from the island it slowly became a forrest. This summer the owner of the island cleared it and asked the neighbor, Dwayne, to farm it. He agreed and planted close to 18 acres of corn. It is some very fine corn, the best I have seen in a long time. Now, this all sounds well and good but you still need to get to island. Yesterday, Sonny and I made this trek in my 4X4 F250 pick up. I was a tad nervous about attempting such a thing but I steeled my nervous system and forward we went. To get to this Island you have to cross the Staunton River. I would say the river is at least 50 yards wide. The place where we crossed was solid rock and the water was sloshing around the floor boards. The rock was very rough also. In retrospect, it may have been the dumbest thing I have ever done, but I doubt it. I felt somewhat like an explorer but I don't think I will be fording this river on a regular basis...

No comments: